Friday, October 3, 2008

Put that baby to bed, doggonit!

We watched the debate, and Sarah did surpass expectations. Of course she did, given that expectations were so low to begin with. She was very scripted, she didn't answer the questions posed, and she kept using annoying "folksy" phrases. I bet half of those phrases she doesn't even use in her daily life, but she feels the need to connect to the "average" voter. I mean, who still uses the word "doggonit"? She is almost my age, just 5 years older than me. We're in the same generation, right? I don't know anyone who says doggonit. What is that? Do I want a VP who talks like this? No, as I said before, I want someone smarter than me, not someone who dumbs down.

I'm sure many people agree that she appeared confident overall and surpassed expectations, and that's all well and good, because Biden surpassed expectations as well. He was a bit wordy at times, but he is clearly competent and knows what he is talking about. His words about being offended that it was implied that he doesn't understand talk at the kitchen table because he is a man, even though he was a single father who survived the death of his wife and child, was an incredible way to connect with voters...and she didn't even acknowledge what he said, she just went back to script.

We can all blather on about the debate...but what's really bothering me is that Sarah Palin claims that she understands America because she is a "Mom" and has sat around that kitchen table struggling with issues every American has struggled with. She appeals to Moms just because she is a Mom. But as a Mom myself, should I judge her based on whether I think she is a "good" Mom or not?

I try not to judge Moms, or Dads, based on the choices they make regarding their children. I feel like people make choices based on what they think is best for their family, and although I might not agree with those choices, or take the same path myself, I respect those choices, because I am not in their situation. They know what is best.

However, I became angry last night and found myself judging Palin based on her representation as a "Mom", and the fact that I don't think she is doing such a good job of being a Mom. Not only was her 6-month old child on stage right after the debate at 10:30pm, but the baby was also on the stage at a rally she attended after the debate, well after 11pm. Why isn't this baby in bed? I just don't understand. As a mother, how can you think having your baby there at 11pm is in the best interest of your baby? Night after night? 

You have a choice. Use your baby as a prop, overstimulated by the crowds, noise and bright lights, or allow your baby the sleep that he needs. Hmmm...is this a hard choice to make? I was thinking back to Aidan's schedule at around 6 months. He went to bed around 7pm, woke up once or twice in the middle of the night to nurse, and then slept until 5-6am. 

This shows a lack of judgment on her part. 

And, I firmly believe, that I would think the same thing if I saw a "Dad" running for VP who consistently brought his infant on stage at 11pm. Why is the media not picking up on this? They are too scared to judge her based on her personal life. Well, lack of judgment in this case could mean lack of judgment in other areas. I hate to say it, but I'm judging. 

No comments: