It does seem a bit strange to have already voted and marked the boxes, when election day is over a month away. But we had to ensure our votes get counted, as we are voting in a swing state (Virginia). The ballots arrived via email - that's a first.
I feel a state of nervous anticipation....excitement (the likes of which I've never really felt before for an election).....and fear all wrapped-up into one in my knotted stomach and mind, running into a million different tangents about all of the likely and unlikely scenarios.
I had fear the last time around, but I am "super" scared because it seems that McCain has picked someone so unknowledgeable about foreign affairs who could actually land in the White House. I want someone smarter than me, someone I can look up to, someone who understands the intricacies of global foreign policy, not to mention the global economy, much more than just someone who can balance her work and family life (and the media says she is doing a good job at this, but is she really? with an infant with special needs? I won't even venture into that debate). And don't tell me the criticism is sexist - don't we want to properly critique each individual, whether man or woman, who could be our president??? Please don't lead us into an idiocracy!
Okay, enough ranting.
This year's election has prompted many small changes in our immediate life:
1) Richard has donated to the Obama campaign for the 3rd time (and he says there are still 2 more donations waiting to happen - what will prompt them?);
2) My parents are volunteering for the Obama campaign....I don't think they have ever volunteered for a campaign in their life and I love that they are doing this in their retirement!;
3) I decided that we had to go ahead and get cable, because I really do not want to miss any of the debates, as well as the coverage on election night. I CANNOT wait until the Palin-Biden debate this Thursday; and
4) I'm reading political blogs and OpEds like never before. We put a few new links on our blog, and here's one in particular that Richard found and likes to read on a daily basis: www.fivethirtyeight.com
This year's election will be a turning point, with the hopes that we will see change. I imagine myself dancing around the room on election night for so many reasons. I just can't wait until November 4th...it will be a night filled with hope, dread, excitement, nervous nail-biting, no sleep need-the-Nanny-to-come-the-next-day kind of night!!
How do you feel?
1 comment:
The same! That's how I feel. We'd better be dancing for joy, or perhaps we'll be dancing off to live in another country! -M
P.S. Thanks for the link recommendation. I'm gonna check it out. I too am addicted to everything that's going on. Did you hear how the guy who wrote the West Wing said that if someone had come to him with a story line about a vice presidential pick like Palin he would have rejected it because it would be too unrealistic a story line!
Post a Comment