I really haven't worried much when it comes to developmental milestones. All babies develop on their own time and each next step will come when he is naturally ready.
But then I read, "When you should start to be concerned regarding language development. Your baby should say 4-6 words by 15 months, such as Mama and Dada" on the Baby Center website, I thought, should I be doing something different?
He's over 15 months, and we've got almost nothing. "Ba" for ball and that's it.
Don't get me wrong, he knows how to communicate in his own special way. Usually a point, with a "hmmm?".
Here's a good example when he does the "hmmm?" and I know exactly what he means:
Preface:
We can't drink directly out of the tap. It looks safe but likely has bacteria in it. We have a distiller to process all of the water that we drink and wash vegetables with. So, when you want to wash your baby's hands in water, when he is likely to immediately put that wet hand in his mouth, you realize that you can't use the tap water but must use the distilled.
So, to wipe his hands and face (and anywhere else that food happens to fall) after each meal, we put a little distilled water in a ramekin, then bring it to the table with a washcloth while he's still strapped into the highchair.
Now little boys love to play with water. So for the last few weeks, after he's finished, he does the "hmmm" sound and points to the kitchen. Here's the routine after each meal:
"Hmmm?"
"Do you want the finger bowl?"
Big smile, followed by another "Hmmm?" fingerpoint towards the kitchen.
I proceed to retrieve said "finger bowl" and put the half-filled with water ramekin in front of him in the palm of my hand.
He makes little motions with his fingers. Sometimes he is a bit tentative, looking up to make sure it's okay to put his fingers in there. He then puts fingers from one hand in the bowl and wiggles them around.
"Put the other hand in the bowl. Wash both hands."
He looks up with an impish grin, tentative, then puts the other hand in so that both fingers from both hands are splashing around in the little bowl.
Then he gets excited, giggles, yelps, splashes those little fingers around in the water with all of his might until the water is all over him and me.
I take the bowl away and get the washcloth.
He points down on his highchair to his legs and feet with a "hmmm?".
"Yes sweetheart, you spilled the water from the finger bowl all over yourself, just like you do every night."
We finish dipping the washcloth into the rest of the water and wash off his hands and face.
What have we learned? I think my child is having a unique experience first of all. How many kids use a finger bowl these days after dinner? I decided to look up finger bowls to try to find some history. Wikipedia hardly has anything, so then I googled it. I found this:
Finger Bowls The finger bowl has hovered on the brink of obsolescence for over a century without entirely disappearing. This is probably why it provides the critical obstacle in the story of the man, either a foreigner or a bumpkin (depending on the teller), who is a guest at a formal dinner party. When a servant offers him a bowl of water at the end of the meal, he drinks it. The hostess presiding at the event is so poised and utterly well-mannered that, without skipping a beat, she drinks her bowl down, too, thus saving him the embarrassment of realizing the extent of his faux pas. This tale has reached almost the status of urban legend, and it is told in many variations. The hostess may be a family matriarch or someone very well-known, say Eleanor Roosevelt or Queen Victoria, but the finger bowl seems to be a constant. Fortunately, the main difficulty lies in recognizing the finger bowl when you see it, which, at formal events, will be either before or after the dessert course. Often there is a slice of lemon floating in the water. Once you are presented with one, all you need to know is that you should delicately dip your fingertips in the water (no scrubbing), dry them off with your napkin (equally delicately), and set the bowl to the side of your plate.
So, he's mastered the finger bowl, well, not the delicate part, but he'll get it sooner or later. I think some people might think his knowledge of a finger bowl at such an early age makes us a bit pretentious. But I tend to believe his knowledge only adds to his world view and will make him a good host (I'll be sure to tell him all about the urban legend at some point - maybe when he reads this blog!). After all, we use it for purely practical reasons, not because I'm trying to teach him how to host a formal dinner party.
And I have to admit that I have come to enjoy the finger bowl myself. Before he became so enthused with splashing his hands around in the bowl, I was able to put the finger bowl on the table at the beginning of the meal without him being distracted and refusing to eat with constant "hmmm?" points. I used it myself. A little dip, then dry on the napkin. Particularly when I was trying to get him to eat a little more by feeding him bites directly from my fingers.
After all this talk about finger bowls, I think the real question for this post is the following:
What will be his first words, first phrase? Not, mama, dada, but:
"Mommy, may I have my finger bowl please?"
p.s. I started a draft of this post 10 days ago. Aidan is now consistently saying "bye", "hi", "da" for Daddy, "ba" for ball, "ma" for maggie, and the cutest little soft spoken "yes".
What's next? I'm betting on "mama" (please?) and "no" (can we wait a little longer for "no"?).
3 comments:
I've heard that boys are notoriously late talkers. My ped said they are much to busy "doing" and developing their large and small motor skills. But it sounds like he is doing just fine.
Hi Diana. Can I tell you that Aiden is gorgeous? I LOVE his hair. And it sounds like he is having so much fun with the whole finger bowl thing. Gosh, we take so much for granted here--like if not potable water, at least not dangerous to wash your kid with water.
Danny also says very few words but makes a lot of conversation. We spend half our time with him going "you don't say?" and "really?" It's just senseless babbling to us, but he's saying a lot. His comprehension is good--I'd be a lot more worried if he couldn't seem to follow directions at all or couldn't point to stuff in books.
He does have a consistent "tra" sound for trucks, and every once in a while surprises up with things like "outside" (he didn't do it again so we think it was a fluke.) I do look forward to the day he starts saying "mama, mama" when he wakes up though. Go figure, he's been saying dada forever. ;-)
-Monica
Thanks Monica! We do a lot of "really?" also and he loves books, so I know he's fine :)
Post a Comment