So I was thinking about different posts, different places we could go. It's a fun game. Richard and I seem to talk about it often. He wants skiing. I want more career choices. We always need to think about what is best for his professional path, that is, the type of assignment. And later it will be about the child's education.
But there are also the little things. I was thinking that I want to go somewhere next time where we don't need mosquito nets. That would be a nice change.
Because of the rainy season, the mosquitoes are really bad right now, and there's always a fear of Dengue Fever. I don't worry so much about me, but I do NOT want our little one to get it. Every time I see a new bite on his finger, knuckle, elbow, I think, "no, we're fine." Dengue for most people is just a really bad, achy fever, but I don't even want to go there. And I'm not really into dousing him with mosquito spray when we're just inside the house. So...
A place that has seasons so that the mosquitoes die in the winter would be nice.
And then I thought, I actually just want a place where there is something to do. But of course, that could be a myriad of places...and right now, Richard and I are into picking the somewhat hardship posts. Then I thought...what if, what if...we go somewhere where I have too many choices. A place like D.C. Then I'll be lamenting the fact that we are so lame because we don't take advantage of all the fun and interesting things to do. What if there is so much to do, but I can't get out every weekend to see all there is to see? To provide the child with meaningful experiences?
What I mean to say is essentially we're lazy and I know if we go somewhere where there is a ton to do, I will want to go go go, but won't be able to get it together to get out there. It takes a lot of effort to get a boy out into the world, with feeding time and diapers and all. So then I'll be wishing for a calmer place, one where I'm not constantly regretting what I'm not doing and seeing.
So, is the grass always greener on the other side? Will I ever find a place where the grass is just GREEN??
Our bid list comes out this summer. Maybe the next place is green, or maybe that happens in retirement, or maybe because I like to travel that means I'm always looking for the next interesting place, or maybe it doesn't happen until I change my attitude?
What's that other cliche? Live life to the fullest. Enjoy the little things. Stop and smell the roses. Oh, yeah, those.
2 comments:
Hey Diana. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Is your current post considered a hardship post so you might get a better spot on this next round? I'd hate it if we lived in a place with mosquitos. I hope you have a fun weekend. I know you are both just as thrilled as we are with this inauguration! -Monica (and su and Danny)
I am terrible with too many choices. Paralyzed by indecision.
Your thoughts resonate so much with me. I miss living somewhere packed with culture and things to do, but the truth is with little ones, a local park and good friends for mom to visit go a long way. They find wonder in every little thing, they don't need the bells and whistles. I've learned that a simple trip to the beach for an hour is plenty for them, they don't need to swim with dolphins.
Think of how much you'll get out of D.C. when your beautiful baby is ten!
Post a Comment