What? This isn't just my summer vacation? You mean I live here? in Guyana? in South America? Oops.
We've been here for 4 months. Seemed like a normal summer. But I just keep thinking that all I wear are tank tops and shorts or capris, and how those tank tops are gonna get kind of worn out by next "summer".
And Aidan...is he going to freeze when we go home? Guyanese put on a jacket sometimes if it's breezy, even if it's 75 degrees. They told me to put shoes on Aidan or his feet would get cold. No, I replied, not when it's 75 degrees. He'll be just fine. But I can't help thinking that being in this warm climate for 2 years will somehow change my perspective about what exactly feels "hot" and "cold".
............
Aidan is hosting baby group this Friday. Okay, I'm doing all the work and he'll have all the fun. We go to a different Mom's house each week and I volunteered for this Friday. I'm creating some yummy treats. The 4th event at our house already!
...........
Aidan was crawling today and I thought it looked strange. That's when I realized, or remembered, how incredibly fast things change when you have a little one. After only a week of consistent walking everywhere, crawling just didn't look right. If you can walk, why crawl? I love that he's walking. It makes things easier...he wants to walk instead of me picking him up. Of course, it also makes things more difficult, as he gets into even more trouble!
...........
Did I tell you about the water frog on the wall that Aidan spotted first? And then the little lizard in the kitchen? I don't mind. I have yet to see a roach inside (don't worry, I'm knocking). So I'm good.
...........
When did 8 hours of sleep become what used to feel like 10? I was asleep by 9pm last night, and heard a cry a bit after 5am. I felt refreshed, anew....like I used to feel when I got 10 hours of sleep. Granted, that was usually only on weekends, but now I get 8 hours so rarely, that 8 hours of solid sleep felt so good.
I could get 8 hours; Aidan sleeps through the night...but I'm a "night person". It's in my DNA. I have trouble confronting the fact that I actually SHOULD go to sleep around 9pm every night. Should, because I know that a little boy will wake me up anywhere between 5 and 6am the next morning. But that's "my" time. I can get things done or just have a few uninterrupted hours of freedom. Richard's good about going to bed, but I find it difficult. Especially since we just got cable...a few channels, including some movie channels. That's the culprit...I find movies that I can't remember being released, yet when I start watching, I'm hooked and can't tear myself away to go to bed at that magic hour.
Besides cable, there's also reading. Getting into a really good book that you want to keep reading and can't possibly put down, even though you know the words will be there in print the next day, just waiting for you. I used to love when I would get so into a book that it would keep me up until 2am reading...knowing full well that I could sleep in. Maybe I'll get that again, oh, 10 years from now? Hmmm....
.........
And last, we're starting to plan some trips both in Guyana and to come home. I'm getting excited. Something to look forward to, seeing more of this country than Georgetown, seeing friends and family, going to fabulous restaurants, skiing!!!! Yeah!
No comments:
Post a Comment